Recent Updates to Texas Pharmacy Laws and Rules
Are you a Pharmacy Tech? Check out the Pharmacy Tech version of this course.
Pharmacy practice is highly regulated. The Texas State Board of Pharmacy has been very active this past year, implementing many amendments following the most recent Texas legislative session. Pharmacy practice laws and rules change to update educational requirements and processes and to address patient care and safety. Some updates are minor (grammar or vocabulary edits), while others modify requirements. Others are detailed and important for daily practice. This course is intended to highlight recent changes in Texas pharmacy laws and rules and their impact on daily pharmacy practice. These changes are relevant for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. This program is organized by communicating the most recent updates first, with earlier effective dates and related topics located further in the article. The updates in this article are also separated by license type (i.e., pharmacist, intern, or pharmacy technician) as described in the update of board rules or laws.
Describe where to locate Texas pharmacy rules and laws
Describe recent changes to Texas pharmacy practice rules
Identify Texas pharmacy continuing education updates
Explain Texas pharmacy practice updates regarding emergency insulin refills and insulin-related supplies
II. The History of Pharmacy and Regulations in Texas
III. Texas Board of Pharmacy Amended Rules
1. Fingerprint Check in the Texas Occupations Code Section 602.2101
2. Amendments Related to the Return of Prescription Drugs Effective December 2022nBoard Rule §291.8
3. Board Rule §291.33
4. Amendments Related to Continuing Education (CE) Requirements Effective December 2022 Board Rule §295.8
5. Board Rule §297.8
6. Amendments Concerning Internship Requirements Effective September 2022 Board Rule §283.4
7. Amendments Concerning Operational Standards Effective September 2022 Board Rule §291.33
8. Amendments Related to Non-Resident (Class E) Pharmacies Effective September 2022 Board Rule §291.104
9. Board Rule §291.125
10. Amendments Concerning Compounding Non-Sterile Preparations Effective September 2022 Board Rule §291.131
11. Amendments Concerning Remote Emergency Medication Kits Effective June 2022 Board Rule §291.121
12. Amendments Concerning Emergency Refill of Insulin and Supplies Effective December 2021 Board Rule §291.34
13. Pharmacist-Intern and Pharmacy Technician Rules
- Read the course objectives and faculty planner disclosure
- Read the course material
- Complete the post-test with a minimum score of 70% and complete the course evaluation form.
- Results are automatically submitted to CPE Monitor
Faculty Planner Disclosure
The following individuals were involved in the development of this activity: Pamela Sardo, PharmD, BS. Pamela Sardo, Pharm.D., B.S., was an employee of Rhythm Pharmaceuticals until March 2022 and has no conflicts of interest or relationships regarding the subject matter discussed. There are no financial relationships relevant to this activity to report or disclose by any of the individuals involved in the development of this activity.
Unlabeled Use Disclosures
The information provided in this course is general in nature and it is solely designed to provide participants with continuing education credit(s). This course and materials are not meant to substitute for the independent, professional judgment of any participant regarding that participant’s professional practice, including but not limited to patient assessment, diagnosis, treatment and/or health management. Medical and pharmacy practices, rules, and laws vary from state to state, and this course does not cover the laws of each state; therefore, participants must consult the laws of their state as they relate to their professional practice. Healthcare professionals, including pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, must consult with their employer, healthcare facility, hospital, or other organization, for guidelines, protocols, and procedures they are to follow. The information provided in this course does not replace those guidelines, protocols, and procedures but is for academic purposes only, and this course’s limited purpose is for the completion of continuing education credits. Participants are advised and acknowledge that information related to medications, their administration, dosing, contraindications, adverse reactions, interactions, warnings, precautions, or accepted uses are constantly changing, and any person taking this course understands that such person must make an independent review of medication information prior to any patient assessment, diagnosis, treatment and/or health management. Any discussion of off-label use of any medication, device, or procedure is informational only and such uses are not endorsed hereby. Nothing contained in this course represents the opinions, views, judgments, or conclusions of RxCe.com LLC. RxCe.com LLC is not liable or responsible to any person for any inaccuracy, error, or omission with respect to this course, or course material.
Computer Hardware/Software Requirements
Please ensure the device you plan to use meets these requirements and specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 7,8,10, or 11 /Mac OS X 10.9 or later/iOS/Android
- Supported Browsers: Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera
- A connection to the internet
- For Live Webinars or Conferences: GoToWebinar application for iOS, Android, Mac, or PC. You cannot 'call into' a live conference.
- Target Audience: Pharmacist
- Contact Hours: 1.0
- Activity Release Date: 4/24/2023
- Activity Expiration Date: 4/24/2026
- Activity Type: Knowledge
- UAN: 0669-0000-23-022-H03-P
- Topic: Law
- CeBroker Number: 20-1038084
Preview the Materials:
RxCe.com, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.