- Describe the evolution and current state of federal and state regulations of marijuana use.
- Describe the pharmacology of Cannabis and cannabinoids, including the variations associated with the different routes of administration.
- Identify the evidence for potential clinical use of marijuana.
- Compare the benefits and risks of marijuana use.
II. A History of Marijuana Use
III. Marijuana Use and Regulation in the United States
1. The Harrison Narcotic Tax Act of 1914
2. Marihuana Tax Act
3. The Boggs Act
4. Controlled Substances Act
5. State Initiatives to Legalize Marijuana
6. Conflict Between Federal and State Marijuana Laws
7. Changing Federal Law
8. Pending Congressional Action
IV. Components of Cannabis
V. Pharmacokinetics of Cannabis
VI. Medical Uses for Marijuana
1. Use of Marijuana to Treat Seizure Disorders
2. Use of Marijuana to Treat Pain
3. Use of Marijuana to Treat Cancer
VII. Adverse Effects Associated with Marijuana Use
VIII. Challenges and Opportunities